Investing in the PR and Propaganda that Accelerates Industrialisation

I wrote these reflections and thoughts on the aesthetics and storytelling behind industrialisation and economic advancement in emerging markets. I’m specifically interested in how to better understand and invest in these intangible attributes that obviously matter so so much.

Here’s the original:

Here’s some copy pasta:

Some potential plays here:

→ Holding Company in an emerging market that has strategic ownership in the local media ecosystem’s top talent agency. (i.e whatever the top talent agency in Bollywood is, go for that!).

→ What is the opportunity here BEYOND sales acceleration? I’m not convinced that there are that many amazing consumer businesses that can be build in frontier/emerging markets due to low purchasing power. But, for core consumer goods, like education, how big a deal could that be? Imagine Byju’s x Bollywood (perhaps that’s just an Indian MasterClass)? I think the really ambitious version of this look closer to what Lambda School wish it was; imagine Sharukh Khan as a core ambassador for skill retraining platforms?

→ I’m genuinely interested in a model where you can invest in this because you can push the lever positively on cultural things that increase broader productivity. For example, in the industrialisation of the US, there was an immense amount of pro-technology propaganda. My favourite is the aesthetic of rural electrification:

https://twitter.com/rsnous/status/1096578837515710465?s=20

→ Every nation and region that seeks to industrialise ought to invest in this media, which will inspire the next generation of local inventors, industrialists, and more. I love Arise’s Industrial Zone Playbook - and they would be a good player to partner up with for this:

More on this later…but until then, I leave you with a quote:

“If you want to build a ship, don’t drum up people to collect wood and don’t assign them tasks and work, but rather teach them to long for the endless immensity of the sea.”

and, in jest: